Hello, my name is Kathy Burgess. My love for Golden Retrievers led me on a Quest to give everyone an opportunity to experience the “golden” love.
I had a dream. What if there was a way to take a Golden Retriever with all the beauty, loyalty, intelligence and love and make it smaller? What if everybody could enjoy the Golden Retriever? What if it was a comfortable sized dog? So the dream of the “Comfort Retriever” began.
The Comfort Retriever® is a combination of Poodle and Golden Retriever. They are smaller versions of the Golden Retriever with a stronger genetic background to ensure the health and longevity of puppies. Commonly referred to as a Miniature Golden Retrievers, they have all the beauty, loyalty and love of a full size dog but wrapped in smaller package. The added benefits of the Comfort® over a Golden Retriever are increased intelligence, decreased shedding, hypoallergenic and increased longevity. The Comfort Retrievers® range in size from 25 – 50 pounds and come in a variety of coat shades from white to mahogany red. The Comfort Retriever® is stunning in size and character and is a show stopper in looks. It is common that people think our adult dogs are puppies, so they are often referred to as a “permanent puppies” or “permapuppies.” The mini retriever is easily trained, kid friendly and is naturally a great family dog.
When I started with my breeding program, I quickly discovered that the breeding prospects were not tested enough and the available dogs to start my program did not meet my testing requirements for producing a healthy and sound puppy. I set about to change that immediately. I bred and raised my own foundation lines, did extensive DNA testing, cleared hips, eyes, elbow, knees and temperament tested the dogs. I kept only the best to breed and started my line of Comfort Retrievers®. This process took several years, but the attention to quality has produced a genetically sound, healthy, well-tempered puppy for you to enjoy for years to come.
Our puppies are socialized early and are well adjusted to all types of families and situations. We have had many puppies go into service dog training and on to assist people with special needs.
Our breeding program is completed with the use of our Golden Retrievers, Comfort Retrievers®, Goldendoodles and Poodles. All of our dogs are carefully tested before they are bred. Our pups are amazingly healthy and sound. Our Goldendoodles and Poodles also come in a wide variety of coat shades, from white to the deepest mahogany red, and range in size from 10 pounds (our mini) to 40 pounds. All of our puppies come with a 2-4 year health guarantee.
Please visit our Photo Gallery to view some of our beautiful puppies. We have a FAQ and a Health and Longevity page. We try to answer all of your questions on our web site but invite you to call us or schedule a visit to our farm in Nicholasville, Kentucky.
We look forward to providing you with a puppy that will supply you with years of endless joy and love.
We believe that well-bred pups can achieve amazing things when given the opportunity. Our dogs have participated in search and rescue, agility, obedience, conformation, and in Junior handling. We have to many accomplishments to list. A few of them are:
- We have had the top-scoring dog in our 4H state competition that was exclusively trained by our then 10 year old daughter.
- Our dogs have been used in newspaper ads and advertising.
- We have had one of the top 25 dogs in conformation in the United States.
- Our dog defeated the #1 dog in the USA in his breed, his second weekend out showing.
- We have attended the Westminster and Eukenuba Classic dog shows.
- Our daughter, Beth, showed in her breed nation specialty. She went and not only won her novice Jr. class, but defeated all the other Jr. classes including the #1 Jr. handler in the USA. She became the Best Jr. Handle at the specialty. It is believed that this is the first time a novice Jr. has won the title. If this is true, then she is the youngest Jr. ever to achieve this title.
- Our daughter Beth was the #1 Junior handler in the USA in her breed.
- Becky, when she was 11 years old, put two International Championships on our dogs.
- Beth, when she was 9 years old, put a National Championship on a dog we produced.
- Becky and Beth have put CGC (Canine Good Citizens) and TDI (Therapy Dog International) on their dogs.
- Beth has put a CD (Companion Dog) title on her dog.
- We have been making regular visits to the nursing home with our therapy dogs for years.
GoldenQuest® believes in community service. We frequently donate dogs as service dogs. Our dogs serve the physically handicapped, the blind, the deaf, and are social service dogs. Our service dogs are serving as school, nursing home, and calming dogs for persons with anxiety disorders. We have an autistic-calming dog and a seizure-alert dog. One donated dog was to be used in research to see if a dog could be trained to sniff peanuts to protect its owner from accidental allergy exposure. We have sent dogs to service organizations to be trained by prisoners, which gives the community well trained service dogs. This program has been the most effective of all programs ever produced in lowering the rate of recidivism, so our dogs are serving a dual purpose.
Our first donated dog was Kansas Dog of the Year. Many service dog organizations have contacted us for either service dogs or dogs to add to their breeding program. We know that we can only do a little, but we believe that we should do our part to make the world a better place.
We hope GoldenQuest® dogs can help make the world a better place one dog at a time.